Sunday, July 9, 2023

Sen. Imee’s statement re passage of New Agrarian Emancipation Act

MANILA – “It fills me with great hope and expectation that the Filipino Farmer will soon own the land he has been tilling since time immemorial. Freeing our farmers from debt through the passage of the New Agrarian Emancipation Act today, July 7, 2023, is the first concrete step towards fulfilling the vision that our late father, President Ferdinand Edralin Marcos, enunciated more than 50 years ago, when he signed PD No. 27 decreeing the "emancipation of tenants from the bondage of the soil."

“I am personally gratified that my work in the Senate has allowed me to somehow continue my father's legacy. Shortly after I assumed office during the 18th Congress, I filed Senate Bill No. (SBN) 849 entitled "An Act Fulfilling the Emancipation of Tenants from the Bondage of the Soil."

“When the COVID-19 pandemic struck, former President Rodrigo Duterte immediately signed into law Republic Act No. 11494 or the “Bayanihan 2, which I co-authored, where I pushed for the inclusion of Section 4(m) providing financial relief for agrarian reform beneficiaries and condoning interests and penalties to agrarian-related loans.”

“And in July 2022, I filed SBN 178 entitled the “Emancipation of Tenants Act,” which sought to relieve farmers from the financial burdens on their loans under the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program.”

“I am grateful, as well, to my brother, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., for sharing our father's vision and making agrarian reform a priority in his Administration.  Sariling lupa para sa bagong bukas na masagana."

“May salawikain tayong mga Pilipino na malupit ngunit totoo naman. Ang sabi ng matatanda, walang ligaya sa lupa na hindi dinilig ng luha. Kung tutusin talagang bayad na ang mga magsasaka sa utang nila dahil idinilig na nila sa kanilang luha, pawis, at taon-taong paghihintay na makamtan ang lupang sinasaka.”

“For indeed, the patrimony of our nation not only lies in the richness of our soil but in the freedom and fullness of those who toil for it.” (Photos: Google Images)

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doulos Hope, floating book fair at Cebu Pier 5 from Oct.15 to Nov. 10

CEBU CITY -- Doulos Hope, an international floating book fair is coming to Cebu in partnership with Cebu City Hall and is open to the public...